Monday, May 21, 2007

Prenatal Prelude

Highly weird to be on the cusp of chasing something that I've run from for the last, uh, 21 years of my life...but "someday" is "someday soon" now, and so I went to my very first gyno appointment that embraces the goal of future motherhood.

I called my gynecologist, Dr B, a little over a month back to see how far in advance of the big Conception Project I needed to prepare my body (read: stop taking the Pill.) Turns out, 6 months...which means I pitched them and we're using an alternate method.

Things about me:

1) I am 38 years old.
2) I got married September 30, 2006.
3) Agreed with my husband that we would begin "trying" on our 1-year anniversary.

Today I went to my first pre-pre-natal appointment. Had the routine exam, then the nurse drew vial after vial of my blood until there were 7 total.

I learned that being 38 doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be horribly difficult. Dr. Blanchard told me the story of her son's wife (same age as me)...and how they tossed the birth control in November and gave birth the following September. Her positive attitude is a major plus, because everyone seems so ready to caution a late-30s lady. As if I don't know the risks, the likelihood of miscarriage, the increased chance for a child with Down Syndrome, etc, etc. I know. Believe me.

But here's the thing. When I was at my peak childbearing years I was single, and I spent my late 20s/early 30s in a relationship that was not meant to be. I've never been Mommy-in-the-waiting. I've been myself, and felt that if I found the right person and we got married THEN I'd consider having kids.

ANYWAY...

After they took 1/18 of my body's supply of blood, Dr. B gave me samples of pre-natal vitamins, and a prescription to fill if I didn't have an adverse reactions to the samples.

Q: "What would be an example of a bad reaction?"
A: A rash.

I'm aiming for being a No Rash person, because if I do have a bad reaction, the other option is a chewable kind of pre-natal vitamins that are not covered by insurance and will leave me penniless.

After I paid my co-pay (I'm gonna meet that $250 deductible like a champ!) I took my woozy self over to Whole Foods next door and treated myself to 3 little containers from the deli department: Grilled Seitan, a Tofu Salad and fresh fruit with berries.

Don't worry - in the future, I will totally remember that "eating for 2" means me and a teeny, tiny person who needs 200 calories (not the full 2,000 that a lumberjack might require.)

More later...

1 comment:

Jack K. said...

Glad to know you got off to a good start. But, you would do nothing less.